01.18.13
"Island 104, now open for visitors"
I skipped breakfast last Thursday, so I drooled while Professor Heap made a peanut butter sandwich in lecture. I thought of not bringing in food because it is usually not allowed in lectures, but the professor himself was making food beside his computer. How ironic, I sighed, but I was also wondering why the delicious cooking in the early morning for me to feel even hungrier.
Algorithm.
Professor Heap simplified the term of algorithm by telling us to write down a step-by-step instruction of how to make a peanut butter sandwich. A process as simple as this had to be broken down into many pieces of instruction in order for me to command it to someone who has never done it before (or pretending not to have, as Professor Heap was). And I learned that easy and simple commands are the basis of seemingly complicated computer operations.
I can say that I use computer often, but I can't say I know a whole lot about it. To be honest, after the first lecture about the syllabus, such a long list of quizzes and assignments dumbfounded me. However, the fun and familiar approach Professor took to introduce us to the world of algorithm and computer operations got me more interested in the topic.
By the third lecture this week when I learned how to do some commands on Racket, I was confident that I could manage the course content. As I prepared for the quiz, I was happy to notice that tutorial handouts, videos and textbook handouts were very helpful for getting used to the material by repeating similar exercises. Because I had never taken a course in this discipline, as my main interest is in the Humanities, I do not think this course relates so much to my other classes. However, it does fulfill my curiosity to learn more about the world of computer science in general.
After all, it is always fun to try something new.
My achievement so far is that I have successfully set up my cdf account before the tutorial. I plan to actively communicate with my TA and find an opportunity to talk to the professor during his office hour next week.
Seems that you are getting more familiar with the course materials. It is always great to take courses that are different than our main interest area to make the learning process leaning towards creativity and innovation.
ReplyDeleteNahla (course TA)